Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Alexis Ren: Interview Feature


"Nothing like a woman with a brilliant mind and a filthy mouth."

If you're on any sort of social media, you're likely to have come across Alexis in advertisements for Forever 21, Nasty Gal Vintage, Tobi, Bluenote, or even just by friends posting fangirl pictures of her. Many see her as an inspirational role model, a soon-to-be supermodel, and a girl who has her music taste in check. I, however, see her as my Tokyo best friend. The one I spent hours on end laying in our apartment gabbing to while watching Criminal Minds, and the one I spent too many nights with out wandering the streets of Japan.

Alexis - Nous Models

AP: What was it that drew you into modeling? Did you have an easy start?

AR: I've always look up to the beautiful girls everyone sees on billboards -- As well as the Victoria Secret Models. I used to daydream of being apart of the fashion industry, though I never thought I had it in me.


Fortunately, I did have a smooth start. Companies took interest in me while I was shopping in their stores. I freelanced for a while; shooting for small companies. Once I felt I was comfortable enough in front of the camera I went to an open casting for Nous Models and was signed a week later.

AP: You spent three months last year working in Tokyo, Japan, was there a difference between the jobs you've done in the states vs. there?

AR: I found there wasn't too much of a difference. I did mostly online product which is about 8 hours of 50-100 outfits a day. It's about the same as it is in the U.S.

AP: How did you like living abroad? Did you grow as a person and with your career?

AR: At first it was hard, but I eventually fell in love with it. It truly made me become the person I am today. I feel so much more independent, and happier with my self.

AP: Originally from and based in L.A., what's your favorite part about living there?

AR: I really enjoy L.A. My favorite part about living in LA would have to be the versatility. If you feel like going to paradise, you can drive about an hour up to Malibu. If you feel like spending a day in the city, downtown LA is perfect. There's endless possibilities in LA.


AP: Since you're start into modeling you've developed thousands of fans - do you like being totally in the spotlight?

AR: At first, I was completely overwhelmed. Now I'm so grateful for everyone that supports me. I've learned to love the spotlight and not be frightened of it.

AP: Have you ever had any crazy encounters with a fan?

AR: I have been recognized before (It was amazing to meet a fan!), but I don't have any crazy stories to tell. I'm sure there will be some though!


AP: You've developed yourself into a sort of 'model celebrity.' has this changed a lot for you in life? And do you enjoy the constant attention?

AR: I enjoy the attention, but I think the hardest part of being a 'model celebrity' is making sure I stay grounded and always thankful. I read every comment and try to get to know my fans. I try not to take anything for granted.


AP: What's your dream job or campaign for modeling?

AR: Either Sports Illustrated or Victoria's secret.

AP: Beauty regime?

AR: I've always believed makeup is used to highlight your beauties. Not cover up your flaws. 


After shoots, the first thing I do is wash my face. I try to avoid dirt build up. I'm obsessed with "Origins". Their brightening skin moisturizer is perfection! As for makeup, I love BB cream. Stila's Beauty Balm is my current love.

AP: Do you have any advice for girls looking to start a career in modeling?

AR: Be the best you. You are your own product, so confidence is everything.

AP: Anything exciting coming up in the future?

AR: I shot Hurleys 2014 swimwear campaign. I'm quite excited for it to come out!

Follow Alexis Ren on twitter and tumblr.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...