Monday, April 1, 2013

hello from ben & i


"Please be a traveler, not a tourist. Try new things, meet new people, 
and look beyond what's right in front of you. 
Those are the keys to understanding this amazing world we live in."

Everyone who knows me or at least follows me along in my travels understands straight up that I do not like being a tourist. In any morsel or manner, whatsoever. But, who could travel to London and not visit the Buckingham Palace or Big Ben and take a selfie picture or two?

Today was the fourth and final day of our Easter weekend, tomorrow we're all back to the model-work grind. So Georgia and I spent the day going around London seeing all of the highlights of the city. We started off enjoying a walk through the Buckingham Palace Gardens which led us straight to Buckingham Palace itself. Filled with rows upon rows of tulips and small water ways, the gardens were such a lovely sight to see. Naturally, the Palace was just as breathtaking too. The only terrible part of it all was that there was no changing of the guards ceremony today (for whatever reason). One of my highest priorities upon coming to London was to see the guards in their massive hats, red suits, and non-smiling faces, and naturally I pick the one day to visit them that there were none there. Of course there were some guards, a few police men in typical suits carrying heavy weaponry and even two funny looking guards in grey coats marching around the building, but how does that even compare? Now, I'll have to come back again some other Saturday just to have my one sought-after picture.

After the Palace we made our way to Big Ben, where we only spent a little bit of time enjoying the church bells ringing around the square and finishing up our touristy photos for the day. In typical London fashion, it was freezing out. Our hands were stingy from the pain of the cold even with gloves on! It was a fun day seeing a few of the famous sights of London, but I was definitely not designed to last in the cold for long amounts of time. Neither was my little Aussie either! So coming home to an afternoon of tea and reading my book away from the nasty cold seemed like the perfect way to end my (slightly) touristy day.



image: probably my favorite London photo of this trip - Big Ben, a telephone booth, and a double decker bus; Westminster station sign; Buckingham Palace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...