Tuesday, February 26, 2013

marin headlands - saulsalito - mill valley


"They sipped wine, and talked about nothing important..."

We didn't have wine, but we did have excessive amounts of tea in a very short period of time. Thankfully, you can never have too much tea - unless you calculate caffeine into the equation, but I don't. So that's that.

Sunday was a wild day of adventure for Paula and I - we ended up skipping Glide's services, for no particular reason, and spent the day renting a car and driving all over San Francisco, across the bridge, through Saulsalito and up to Mill Valley. Our first stop after crossing the Golden Gate was to wander around the Marin Headlands. We drove and hiked up to the highest view point where you could see the bridge in all it's glory, plus have a breathtaking view of the entire city behind it (pictured below). After, we ventured over to Saulsalito which is an adorable town featured on the coast - it reminded me (and usually many others) of the south of France, almost a splitting image between the two.We didn't stay too long before heading to Mill Valley, where we found what is officially my favorite cafe around - The Depot Cafe. Inside the cafe was complete with a bookstore holding all the latest books, plus a few inspiring older ones. Coffee & teas, pastries & paninis - we sat outside where you could take in a view of the entire town square, plus hear some jazz music by a local artist and even watch the vigorous chess games playing a little ways down.

The brightness of the afternoon sauntered into a dimly lit evening while we sipped our teas, chatted aimlessly and passionately alike, and read deeper and deeper into our current books of choice.

When the evening finished - mainly because the cafe was closing - we walked a bit around the square and then reluctantly drove back into the city. Or might I say, I drove. Though I've been in a vast amount of cities, I've never driven in one - and now I can say that I have, plus across the Golden Gate Bridge, and even down Lombard Street (a street famous for its steep, one-block section that consists of eight tight hairpin turns). Paula and I were so giddy about Lombard that we pulled off and switched seats so she could do the drive herself.

It was an amusing end to an adorable day - one that I'll remember and think back on for the rest of my life.


image: the wine list featured outside of the depot cafe; the surreal view of the bridge plus downtown san francisco in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...