Saturday, May 26, 2012

the endless list

There's an age old question known by every person on the Earth, and asked from strangers across the globe to one another: What do you want to do before you die? Typical answers usually deal with visiting a far and strange place, or bringing your family closer together to each other, or simply to sit and watch a sunset completely through.


Answers inevitably change with every directional step we take in our lives, too. For instance, if I were asked the question when I was nine, I'd probably give an answer along the lines of, "I want to be an adult, with my own job, money, and rules." Ten short years later though, I know more than anything it would be to travel to Alaska for 2 months and tour the state with only a camera, journal, and maybe a map.

The only reason I go off on my tid-bit of inspiration (other than for myself), is because of a site I stumbled upon called "What do you want to do before you die?" It's a truly incredible site, started by photographer Nicole Kenney, traveling the world simply taking a polariod of the people she meets and asking them the straight forward question that makes them think (and act upon) what's really important in their lives. You can find her journey at beforeidieiwantto.org

Unlike myself though, I've noticed some not having a physical list of what they'd like to do. My father for example - I'll always remember the days growing up riding shot gun with him in his dirty old pick up truck. We'd leave before the sun even rose to start the day off going to meetings or working on jobsites, but the hours we spent singing along to old (and new) songs on the radio, or chatting about the millions of things happening in each of our lives together, I picked up on a few things along the way. Some points off his list range from owning his favorite corvette again to seeing the Great Pryamids in person. Or even one we're crossing off the list this year, sky-diving.

I've always been fascinated with people's hopes and dreams at any stage in their life. What they strive to accomplish for themselves, and for the better well being of the loved ones around them. There's so many numerous ideas to strive for, but I've known the ones that truly come from your heart are the most fulfilling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...