Sunday, July 31, 2011

one in a crowd of millions


This morning instead of my usual soft, drum beat alarm, I had a 6.4 magnitude earthquake to wake me up. Lovely. I was shooting the second half of Champion's S/S 2012 campaign today, so it was another early start to a far off location. We shot in a Japanese university that had some of the most alluring beauty I've seen in Japan yet. Trees and flowers, gardens and pathways in every direction. Other than the production team, I didn't really know because they were using all new models today. Toshiko and Justin were my two closest buddies for the day. Justin is a model from Minnosota who is half Japanese. He was telling me incredible things I had never heard before about the Japanese culture, while also explaining a few things I needed to put on my list as things to do while I was in town. He was blown away that I had never been to a Ramen shop before, so he took it upon himself to take me to his favorite Ramen shop after we finished for the day.

In Japanese culture, it's considered polite to slurp your noodles as you eat, because it signs as a compliment towards the chef. Totally not like the Western culture and how I was raised, so Justin slurped his ramen properly while I laughed and ate mine as I normally would. We finished the evening by walking around the city together some and chatting about everything that came to mind, till dusk set and we both started to realize just how exhausted we were from our day. We said our goodbyes and made plans to meet again soon.

On my way home though, Mariane called and asked if I'd like to go shopping - since I was already out I obliged. We were walking through Shibuya together till I thought out loud, "You know what I really want to do? Recognize a face on the street. Thousands upon thousands of people in this city, and I'd just like to recognize one." I couldn't have planned it myself, even if I wanted, but as we turned down the next street I heard my name being called out in the crowd and realized it was my friend Michael shouting for me, who I had met earlier this week. I was amazed, being in one of the biggest cities in the world where I maybe knew 30 people total, and being in the 'Million Man Intersection' just to happen upon someone I actually knew. Amazing coincidence. Michael and I caught up for a bit and went our seperate ways, then after some shopping and dinner Mariane and I did too. It was a lot packed in to one day, but one I'll remember the rest of my life I imagine.

image: to give you an idea of the million man intersection in Shibuya.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...